Etymology for Dummies

My favorite types of online birth announcements are those that give the meanings of the names parents have chosen for those little ones. Sometimes they're hilarious and wrong, but sometimes they're hilarious and right.

Take Asia here. Benefis Healthcare says Asia means "Name's Origin: Greek; English.
Name's original meaning: 'Resurrection'; 'Eastern sunrise'." I mean, I guess, maybe. That's definitely not the first meaning that came to my mind, honestly. I was thinking more along the lines of "Oriental Continent," but whatever floats your boat. Maybe I am going to start calling Europe "Mythological Seduced Woman" and Antarctica "Opposite to the Bear." That's what they mean, after all, you know.

Here is little Andersen Kate. A cute girl, but what does Chandler Regional Hospital have to say about her name? "Courtney and Lee have chosen the name Andersen Kate for their beautiful new daughter. Origin: Swedish. Original Meaning: "Strong; manly; courageous"." Good choice, Courtney and Lee, good choice!

London Jayde apparently means "Fortress of the moon." Funny, I always thought a London Jayde was what Hogarth depicted in his "Harlot's Progress" engravings...

India Danielle has a very interesting name meaning, too. "Name's Origin: English.
Name's original meaning: Country's name used as a first name." At least they're honest.